September 9, 2019
DIY instructions to make your own lightweight backpacking pillow.
|Skill Level||Estimated Time||Estimated Cost|
|Beginner||30 to 60 minutes||$|
Materials and Tools
|Materials Needed:||Tools Needed:|
|14″x18″ ARGON 67 or ARGON 90||Sewing Machine|
|~55 Grams of Climashield or other fill||Scissors|
|4″ of 1/2″ Grosgrain||Ruler/Tape Measure|
|Thread of your choice||Marker or Chalk|
Purchase full kit here: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/climashield-pillow-kit/
Notes: Seam allowance is 5/8″. Backtack beginning and end of all seams. Shiny side of fabric is the “wrong” side.
- Cut Material to 14”x18”.
- Fold in half crosswise, twice.
- Snip corner roughly 1/8” to mark middle of longest seam.
- Unfold once, sew one end.
- Fold tab in half, turning one end over to make tab stand open. It may be helpful to secure with a pin.
- Sew long seam, placing the tab between the two layers of fabric , pointing inwards. Backtack over tab for reinforcement.
- Turn pillow right side out.
- Weigh and measure out 55 grams of climashield.
- Pull apart climashield , “shredding” it to create loft.
- Stuff pillow.
- Turn end seam inwards, and finish with a topstitch.