November 3, 2021
What Is Bikepacking? Here’s What You Need to Know
If you enjoy the outdoors, you may have heard people talking about bikepacking recently. Wondering what bikepacking is and how you can get in on the fun? Learn more about this adventurous activity that appeals to people who enjoy multi-day cycling tours and exploring nature.
What Is Bikepacking?
In the simplest terms, bikepacking is the combination of backpacking and biking — and it’s also a lot more than that. Combining backpacking and biking also means you get to experience the best parts of both these hobbies together.
When you go backpacking, you want to explore new places. You desire the chance to go off the beaten path and forge your own trails. You carry your food and water, and you can take paths that you might not explore on a short hike.
When you go biking, you can go fast, charge down a path and see where it takes you. You enjoy the exercise and heart-pounding adrenalin produced when you fly down a trail on your favorite ride.
Combining these two activities means you’ll get to explore more places in less time than a regular backpacking trip. Get the thrill of a bike ride with the adventure of a long hike. You can think of it as lightly-loaded bicycle touring.
Important Bikepacking Tips
Before you head off on your bikepacking adventure, keep these eight tips in mind:
- While you can use any bike for bikepacking, make sure your bike can handle gravel and dirt roads.
- Get a comfortable saddle because you’ll use it for hours at a time.
- Bring a first aid kit and a bike repair kit in case something breaks down.
- Always inform someone who stays behind where you’re going and how long you’ll be gone.
- Don’t take unnecessary risks, such as biking on flooded or closed-off trails.
- Get the right gear, so you don’t have to carry everything. You can find dry bags that clip onto your bike.
- Find a lightweight sleeping bag that you can cinch to your handlebars with a dry bag.
- Wear a light backpack, especially for the technical portions of the ride where you’ll have to hike with your bike.
Learn More About DutchWare Today
Whether you need rackless bag systems or handlebar bags, the right gear can help your trip go smoothly. You can find that gear from DutchWare, an industry innovator offering high-quality equipment. Explore our inventory and contact us to learn more about our bikepacking gear or make your purchase!