April 28, 2020
Spending time outdoors enhances your physical and mental health and can improve memory, mood, and overall life satisfaction. According to one government calculation, the average American spends more than 80 percent of his or her life indoors — and the time spent enjoying Mother Nature only decreases as we get older. However, no matter your age, spending time outdoors will enhance your life in more ways than one.
Benefits of Time Outdoors
Research has shown that spending more time outdoors is linked to higher levels of creativity, focus, and improved mental clarity. Venturing out also:
- Boosts energy: Spending just 20 minutes outside gives your brain an energy boost equivalent to drinking one cup of coffee.
- Enhances creativity: Immersion in outdoor pursuits has been proven to increase an individual’s performance on creative tasks.
- Improves short-term memory: One study found that depressed individuals who took frequent walks in nature were able to enhance working memory more so than when walking in urban environments.
- Supplies your daily dose of Vitamin D: Sufficient levels of vitamin D prevent osteoporosis, reduce inflammation, and help us absorb more calcium. Vitamin D is essential for healthy bones and teeth and improves the body’s resistance against certain diseases.
- Provides free aromatherapy: Recent scientific studies suggest that the inhalation of phytoncides, or substances emitted by trees and plants, may be linked with a wide range of health benefits for people who spend time in forests.
- Helps mitigate pain: One study evaluated spinal surgery patients who were exposed to high-intensity sunlight after their operations. They reported marginally less pain and less stress.
- Improves your vision: Studies show that elementary school students who spend more time in the open air are less likely to develop nearsightedness.
- Boosts mood: More time spent outdoors can enhance our ability to connect with others, decreases stress, and increases generosity.
Get Outside With Backpacking Gear From DutchWare
Enhance your life by getting outdoors with the right gear. Spending time outdoors helps you reap several health benefits, such as boosting your mood and improving your outlook on life.
At DutchWare, we offer everything you need for your next camping or backpacking trip, including do-it-yourself equipment, hammocks, tarp and shelter equipment, camp kitchen items, apparel, endurance-boosting snacks, and more. If you have any questions regarding our inventory of innovative gear, feel free to contact us online and we’ll be more than happy to help. Get started planning your next outdoor excursion today!