The Best High-Energy Foods for Hammock Camping
As any hammock camper knows, keeping your stomach full and your body energized is a key part of a great outdoor adventure. Fueling yourself properly during your trip will make sure your blood sugar stays steady and give you the nutrients you need to keep going.
Read our tips below to discover some top high-energy foods to make your next great outdoor adventure even better.
Things to Keep In Mind When Packing Food
If you are planning food for long camping trips or even a day trip, you want to use your space efficiently. Healthy foods with low fat and sugar content will give you sustained energy. Some things to keep in mind include:
- Pack lightweight foods: Dehydrated foods are a great way to provide nutrition without extra weight.
- Choose nutrient-dense foods: Foods made with whole grains or nuts and seeds are a great way to get needed nutrients fast.
- Plan meals that are easy to prepare: Using instant or dehydrated meal packs is a great way to have a hearty meal without carrying too much weight.
- Minimize cooking tools and utensils: Making one-pot meals such as macaroni and cheese or pancakes will prevent you from needing to bring multiple pots and utensils.
5 Foods for Energy When Hammock Camping
Before you even begin your trip, it’s crucial to eat a solid meal to fuel your body. During your hike, you can keep your energy levels up by having a small snack every two hours.
The best foods to eat on your hike are those you can snack on without needing to stop and cook, such as:
- Nutrition bars: Nutrition bars are high in protein and carbohydrates.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables: For a healthy snack on the first day of a hike or backpacking trip, pack some fresh fruits and veggies.
- Trail mix: This classic hiking snack will provide you with protein and healthy fats.
- Jerky: Jerky provides a great protein boost while taking up little of your precious space.
- Oatmeal: Overnight oats are great for enjoying on the trail or in your hammock.
Check out Our Outdoor Gear Today
Food just tastes better when you’re out on an adventure, so pack plenty of these high-energy foods for hiking to keep you going on your trip. At DutchWare, we make our camping and hiking gear with lightweight, sturdy materials so you can carry everything you need on the trail.
Shop our selection of hammocks, tarps, and other essentials today! You can also get in touch with our team if you have questions about our products.